Below I have gathered some major events of telecommunication history in Sri Lanka.
- Celltel was Launched in June 1989
- Mobitel was Launched
- Dialog GSM was Launched in 1995
- Dialog became the first operator to launch International roming in Asia Pacific
- Mobitel became a subsidiary of STL
- In January 2004, Mobitel launched dualband EDGE/GPRS 2.5G GSM Network
- Hutchison launched its services in 2004
- In December 2007, Mobitel launched 3.5G HSPA Network
- Celltel was rebranded by Millicom International in January 2007, as Tigo (Sri Lanka)
- Etisalat acquired Sri Lankan operations of Millicom International, Tigo (Sri Lanka) on 16 October 2009
- Bharti Airtel Lanka was Launched in Sri lanka in January 2009
- Tigo was renamed to Etisalat On 25 February 2010
- Etisalat launched HSPA+ services over 2100 MHz in 5 May 2011
- Etisalat launched DC-HSPA+ service on 15 August 2012
- Dialog Launched HD-Voice (Wideband Audio) in February 2012
- Hutch launched HSPA+ in 2012
- Mobitel launched 4G Network
- Dialog Launched 4G LTE Network
- Etisalat launched HD-Voice (Wideband Audio) in May 2014
Please feel free to suggest any further events / information to add to the above list. And if you work for any of this Mobile Operators, please send me any data that you would link me to add to this list.
PS:This list is not complete as its hard to find some data. I will try my best to keep adding more info as its available.
Please post you suggestions in the comments section below.